How Does it Work?The CiviHosting Wikispaces Migrator Tool works, in brief, like this:
You provide us with one of the following:
- “organizer” access to your Wikispaces wiki, which means to first invite our user CiviHosting to your wiki and after we join, grant us “organizer” access (we can assist you with this in more detail if necessary)
- an export of your wiki in “DokuWiki” export in “Windows .zip” file format from the Wikispaces export page (or “HTML” format for WordPress migration)
We will then create a new DokuWiki wiki or WordPress site on our servers and migrate your content, including text, links, images and documents, into your new wiki.
What Do I Get?
Here are details of what to expect from your new site.
Items that Work 100%
- All pages imported
- All text is imported and most formatting is preserved, including:
- Images and files (like DOC and PDF) are imported into the DokuWiki media system.
Items that do not Work 100%
- URLs and image file names are converted to be only lowercase letters
- Any non-standard characters such as © (or spaces) in URLs and image file names are replaced with underscore: _
- Trailing spaces in URLs are removed
- Pages in Wikispaces that are “Spaces” are not preserved
- Sidebar navigation is preserved in DokuWiki but not WordPress
- Embedded videos such as YouTube or Vimeo are preserved in WordPress but not DokuWiki
Some of the issues above stem from limitations within DokuWiki or WordPress, and others stem from limitations in the exported data from Wikispaces.
Should I Choose DokuWiki or WordPress?
Our advice is that if you know WordPress or you have some reason to prefer it, or you want the flexibility it has, or wider range of themes, then choose WordPress.
If you prefer something simpler and more similar to Wikispaces, then use DokuWiki.
Why Should I Choose You?
There are a few reasons. One is that Wikispaces is a proprietary, closed system. Now that they are closing, all Wikispaces users are stuck and most find a way to convert their wikis into another, usable format. The tools we are offering, i.e. DokuWiki and WordPress, are popular open source products, and they are portable. That means that you can download a backup of your site with us and install it on another host easily.
Another reason is that we are not going out of business. We have been hosting since 2006 and have been profitable since day one. Even if we would decide to close, you can download a full backup of your site via our hosting Control Panel at any time, and most any other host can install that for you and host it for you.
Does it Come with a Visual Editor?
Yes, both DokuWiki and WordPress come with a visual editor.